I Got a Job!


In June 2016, I started looking into getting a job. Of course, I realized it would be difficult, which it was. I never got one. Most places thought 15 year olds were 'too young' to get a job. I totally don't agree. At 15, I was just as capable as the vast majority of 16 year olds, there's only a couple months difference! I decided back then that I would wait, it seemed like a sensible idea.

I still had no idea where I wanted to apply for but I had been looking around online, as you do, looking for places which would be flexible enough to let me work around my school hours. Not to my surprise, there really wasn't that many places. The one that stuck out to me most was McDonald's. I applied a few weeks after I turned 16, I left myself a little time to make sure I was making the right decision. I didn't want to jump into anything that I ended up not being able to do because of school work or anything of the sort.

Before you start putting it down, wait a second. I did my research and for all people slate other people who work in McDonalds, it's actually a great job. First of all, the pay. Minimum wage for 16 year olds is £3 something an hour, and they pay £5.35 an hour. So that's almost £2 over! For a 16 year old who doesn't have to pay taxes or bills and is used to having no money in her pocket that's absolutely amazing! I just work part time, so at the moment I'm getting around £200 a month which is so much more than what I am used to having.

They are flexible with your hours and you work entirely around your availability! They ask you what days/ hours you can't do and base your shifts around that.

You're constantly speaking to the people you work with, it's very much about team work and you get to know so many people. There is always help if you need it, especially when you're new like me, there is always people there that can help you if you get stuck.

They train you us super fast too, but don't pressure you to do it if you're more comfortable on other stations. I've been there for 2 months now and I'm trained on all except 1 station.

I actually love it. I applied in January, heard back about my application within a few days, got an interview , heard back, and was invited to a welcome meeting to organize first shifts and uniforms. This all happened within the space of 2 weeks. Now I have been there just over 2 months and I am loving it. For all it can get busy which can be a little stressful, things can go wrong but nobody holds it against you. They help you fix it, you laugh about it and then you move on.

It has definitely helped me to build my confidence and become more independent just like I'd hoped it would!

I would love to hear all of your 'first job' experiences too! Email them to me at gillies.rebecca@yahoo.com or through any of my social medias (find them on my 'Contact' page).

xoxo Becca



Comments

Popular Posts